Some boredom this afternoon prompted me to make a cup of tea and dip some paper into it, with a few test prints kicking about that I no longer had any use for I decided to try “tea toning” some Cyanotypes.
This is a Blue Sunprint premade cyanotype paper I experimented with a while back, this is the same contact print from a 5×4 negative developed in PMK pyro, Note that although the after image is softer a small amount of the highlight detail has been “developed” back in by the tea.
I found the best results from images with fuller a tonal range, Cyanotypes of my favorite woodcuts did not tone too well compared to these, I shall endeavor to make more tests with some nicer prints soon.
Last week Yvette Worsboys asked me if I’d like to come along and have a talk to her 1st year photoimaging class over at TAFE Sydney Institue of Photography.
I pretty much talked through my materials from the last exhibition, Getting some reallygreat questions and feedback.
Afterwards I preped a little demo of my Cyanotype process and made a litte workshop of it.
It was great to see such enthusiasm among the students we ended up with a lovely photogram to show for it.
Photos courtesy of Yvette Worboys
I never imagined all those years ago when I first picked up a camera I’d be giving advice to those following in my steps.