Just under 2 weeks ago I attended Australia’s first Wet Plate Collodion Gathering at Goldstreet Studios in Victoria, Facilitated by the masterful Craig Tuffin. It was great to get back into some large format shooting.
I thought I’d share some of my favorite Tintypes from the day
Here is a large format plate of our group by Craig
And a video of the exposed plate being fixed after development
Special shoutouts go to:
- Ellie Young for a lend of a camera
- Craig Tuffin for being a great instructor & facilitator
- Astrid Piepschyk for her masterful tips and providing me with a crash course demo
- Melissa Anderson for the fun times and tips for my flash burned eyes.
All in all fun times were had, Keep watching this space in comming weeks for some of my work from the streets Melbourne after the gathering.
It’s been a little while since I’ve communicated with many of you out there, I’ve been on a temporary hiatus due to varied living situations.
I’ve had a break from my break to jet down to Melbourne to the wonderful little town of East Trentham visiting Goldstreet Studios to attend Australia’s first ever Wet Plate Collodion Gathering, which was facilitated by the amazing Craig Tuffin.
All in all I’ve had a great experience so far making Tin Types and wondering the streets of Melbourne (just walking in any direction that takes my fancy) I’ve met a couple dozen new friends, many of them amazing photographers both at Goldstreet and on the Streets. I would like to say you’ve all been amazing and I’ve enjoyed trading tips, tricks and ideas, (and among other things learning first hand about the effects of flash burn on one’s eyes) It’s been great and I’d more than happy to maintain contact with any of you.
Anyhow time is short and shots are yet to be developed and uploaded so stay tuned for the recap and images within the next week or so.
Every now and then I drag out a camera made from a coke can, magnet and waffer tin to try and capture something interesting.
There is no shutter, no glass and a very tiny fixed aperture making for freedom to do things a little intuitively rather than working with bulky studio equipment.
I can do single or multiple exposures, refit and re adjust paper between exposures to creative various effects, these images then are captured on 5″x7″ black & white photographic paper and hand developed in small trays of chemicals.
Not bad for a waffer tin wouldn’t you say?
If we look back to when I was printing Mr Steedman onto a board you may remember that I met with a sanding mishap in the final stages of finishing (This is why powertools can never fully replace good old hand craftmanship) anyhow, I thought on a solution for a few months and rather than start again re-styled the whole board.I think the new rough worn “vintaged” look works, So well infact that It has already changed hands and will not likely see exhibition.
Yesterday I spent the afternoon in the darkroom testing out some new paper (12×16 in Ilford Multigrade IV RC De Luxe Gloss for those of you interested) all the while using a few of the old favorites along side a skateboard.
After a few prints of Mr Calamity Hawkins (which would test the amount of drying space I’d have available) I decided to look for something a little different, While flipping through sheets of negatives I came across a picture of a good friend of mine Mark Steedman and thought I’d make a test print. Wow is all I can say… I ended up printing the same image on a few sheets of the ilford mg, some old ilfobrom and then thought I’d might as well make a full afternoon of it and chemically printed his face onto a skateboard. All in all a good day.
I shall leave you with this small gallery, I will share more pictures of the board once I have gone through the sealing and finishing stages.
Look out for more of these as there will be an exhibition of them at a later date.