Tea Toning Cyanotype Tests

Some boredom this afternoon prompted me to make a cup of tea and dip some paper into it, with a few test prints kicking about that I no longer had any use for I decided to try “tea toning” some Cyanotypes.

This is a Blue Sunprint premade cyanotype paper I experimented with a while back, this is the same contact print from a 5×4 negative developed in PMK pyro, Note that although the after image is softer a small amount of the highlight detail has been “developed” back in by the tea.

Here are two prints which were quite similar before toning, The usual prussian blues have turned an almost chocolate colour, the change is quite pretty.

I found the best results from images with fuller a tonal range, Cyanotypes of my favorite woodcuts did not tone too well compared to these, I shall endeavor to make more tests with some nicer prints soon.